Saturday, January 3, 2009

'Rereading' Twilight: A cure for insomnia?

A friend had shared with me the audiobook version of Twilight, and for the past week the voice of narrator Ilyana Kadushin has been soothing me to sleep. I'm six again, and eager for bedtime so I could hie off to a distant dreamland--only this time it's not a chocolate factory or a secret garden, but Forks, with its "too green" mossy forest.

It felt like I was rereading the book, only this time I could do it flat on my back. It was my first audiobook ever, and I thought it was cool to be able to "read" with the lights off and with my eyes closed (so I'm thinking of scoring the New Moon audiobook soon).

Reviewing Twilight through the audiobook reminded me of why I fell in love with it in the first place. Here are few of the reasons:

The first time he spoke to her: 

"Hello," said a quiet, musical voice. I looked up, stunned that he was speaking to me.

"My name is Edward Cullen," he continued. "I didn't have a chance to introduce myself last week. You must be Bella Swan."

The first lip contact: 

"I was thinking there was something I wanted to try." And he took my face in his hands again. I couldn't breathe. He hesitated, not in the normal way, the human way. Not the way a man might hesitate before he kissed a woman, to gauge her reaction, to see how he would be received. Perhaps he would hesitate to prolong the moment, that ideal moment of anticipation, sometimes better than the kiss itself. 

Edward hesitated to test himself, to see if this was safe, to make sure he was still in control of his need. And then his cold, marble lips pressed very softly against mine.

The first time he went to her house, invited, and admitted spying on her when she slept:  

"How often?" I asked casually. "Hmmm?" He sounded as if I had pulled him from some other train of thought. I still didn't turn around. "How often did you come here?" "I come here almost every night." I whirled, stunned. "Why?" "You're interesting when you sleep." He spoke matter-of-factly. "You talk."

He pulled me against his chest, softly, naturally. "Don't be self-conscious," he whispered in my ear. "If I could dream at all, it would be about you. And I'm not ashamed of it."

The first time she saw her in her room:

My eyes scanned the darkness, the impenetrable shadows of the trees. "Edward?" I whispered, feeling completely idiotic. The quiet, laughing response came from behind me. "Yes?" I whirled, one hand flying to my throat in surprise.

He lay, smiling hugely, across my bed, his hands behind his head, his feet dangling off the end, the picture of ease.

And that's just halfway through the book. I'll try to add more later. Meantime, I'll get ready for when Bella meets the Cullens. 

3 comments:

  1. He pulled me against his chest, softly, naturally. "Don't be self-conscious," he whispered in my ear. "If I could dream at all, it would be about you. And I'm not ashamed of it." -- Awwww...ate I want to listen to the audio book...is it already in torrent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can Edward be such the man of every girl and woman's dreams? How I wish there was someone like him (though not a vampire) in reality. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could give you a copy. Stay off Torrent. Some downloads are duds. I'll be back in Manila soon... hold your breath a little longer =)

    ReplyDelete