Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rob reads fan fiction

"It’s surprisingly hard-core. And very well written."

So said Robert Pattinson of Twilight fan faction in his GQ interview. And I totally agree! These Twilight-inspired works of fiction are very imaginative, and they go where Stephenie Meyer dared not tread--pre-marital sex between Bella and Edward!  Or at the very least  some really heavy making out scenes that could qualify as smut ("lemons" in FF lingo).

For sure, these FF writers have taken the Bellward saga beyond the confines of the young-adult genre. And a lot of them are so good I almost fear for SM (but she owns the characters and all things Twilight, so she need not fret). I actually find their take on SM's beloved characters, uhm, more rounded. They're darker, funnier, more "human" and more honest. In short, these are impefect characters that adults in my age group could actually relate to. Well, except for the fact that they get a lot more Cosmo-inspired sex than we do.

I used to stay away from FF, even from the Harry Potter era, because I didn't want stories that "desecrate" the characters I've come to love. So I never thought I'd be interested in stories were Edward is human, has a dirty mouth, and prone to in-your-face horniness, which happens to be the case is most popular Twilight FF. But after reading one such story, I realized this Edward could be as lovable, especially since I imagine he too has Rob Pattinson's face.

The novel-length stories come in installments, like a TV series. And they could be as addicting. I just dropped by Twilighted.net one time, and before I realized it the sun was rising and I had read a whole novel, with a cliffhanger in the end. Now I can't stop myself from clicking on the story I bookmarked to check for updates every morning.

I'm tempted to put the links to my favorite FF stories here but I'm afraid they might not be fit for young readers. But I encourage mature readers to go to Twilighted and check out what they have there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment